Westspit Braddock Bay

Monday, August 10, 2015

EPA funds $9M worth of [what?] on Braddock Bay

After reading that the EPA funded the Town of Greece [via US Army Corps as interagency] desire to remake the character of Braddock Bay in the name of 'restoration,' I thought it time I state my feelings as a resident of Manitou Beach Rd.
Sandy Creek Ponds and Barrier Beach located in northern Oswego County
New York on eastern Lake Ontario

I just got back from the eastern Lake Ontario area - Sandy Creek ponds north and south, an area that was once very popular -- especially when fishing was king in the 1940s-50s.  Today it feels like a jumble of vintage trailers, rickety cottages and mishmash shoreline development so very very different from Monroe County.  The shoreline of northern Oswego County could have been a pristine barrier beach [almost as great as Fire Island] region but today it is a hodgepodge of no-zoning/planning and a zillion docks on every inch of marshland, creek and river.

I see Southpoint Marina on the south end of Irondequoit Bay working to restore a marina.  That's exactly what the Town of the Greece wants to do to the Braddock Bay Marina  -- not to mention the marina project at the Rochester Harbor.  

That's what all this ruse about 'restoration' is about -- a way to keep a channel dredged to build back the boating in the area.  Too little too late is the DEC's Natural Heritage Designation for Eastern Lake Ontario.

When I see the big mess the eastern shoreline of Lake Ontario is in Jefferson County, I am actually shocked.  Take the oldest and smallest cottage on Edgemere Drive and multiply that by 10,000 - that's the ruin of the shoreline.  

I wish the US Army Corps would take the concrete headland away from the project, but I don't think that will happen.  I envision another engineered attempt to take a protected State Wildlife Management Area and turn it into a marina. Period. 

I think the Braddock Bay status as Audubon Important Bird Area and all the bird organizations, etc. should have had more effect on the decision-making process, but unfortunately the birders caved to the Town's wishes for reasons I can only surmise -- funds to remove invasives and public relations for them.

I believe that much of the funding for 'restoration' is in the name of preventing shoreline erosion after the super-storm Sandy hit NYS.  There are a lot of little cottages that are going in the water in the next 50 years. 

Let's see what occurs . . . . we don't have the last word.  Water has the last say.




No comments: